Sunday, November 19, 2017

Web Lock

I have an announcement to make. I have finally completed my second app and put it on Google Play:

It's called Web Lock. It displays any page the user requests on the device lock screen (that is, the page is shown every time the device goes on, even if it's not locked). It requires Android 4.4 KitKat and up.
Now, I don't plan to make a separate FB page for it, nor to cover it here in more detail. I just made this announcement since it's somehow related, it's an offspring of the rotating-cities world clock in that it takes the display on lock screen feature and applies it to any page the user requests.
On the other hand, it has to be noted that the 2 apps are somewhat conflicting. If somebody has the rotating-cities world clock installed, and set to be shown on the lock screen, then it won't make much sense to also install Web Lock. But well, last time I checked there were still a few people left who don't have the rotating-cities world clock on their devices, so maybe they will want to install Web Lock.

2 comments:

dottrix said...

Awesome! I've been trying to figure out how to do this on Android for ages. Back in the day I hacked together a method for this on the iPhone 3GS. I used it to load a web site, which pulls up a random image from the same web server folder, so it shows a different wallpaper image every time I wake up and unlock the phone. I had to re-code my HTML a little bit due to Android Chrome image caching, but I got it working exactly like it used to. +1 for the suggestion about removing the top bar, when displayed at the lock screen. That would give a super clean display of the full screen wallpaper. Thank you, thank you, thank you! (It’s the little things in life...) Phone=SGS9
-Travis, a.k.a. Dottrix

V. Sim. said...

Believe it or not, I just noticed this comment now, after more than 1 year. (I probably saw it back then too, in my inbox, but mistook it for the one at Google Play which is the same.) So if you feel like adding anything about it here, you're welcome. I assume you know that in the meantime I coded the title bar removal feature, and also finished a new version for Android 9 and (especially) 10 and up.